Wednesday 8 June 2016

Pretty Dahlia card with Sheena Douglass stamps

Hello lovely peeps,

I've been wanting to use the dahlia stamp from Sheena Douglass for awhile now since I got it. Dahlia's are one of my favourite flowers, so bright and beautiful and so much variety.  I especially like the ones that are a different colour in the centre, they remind me of sweets (not that I eat them) or raspberry ripple, some of them are truly stunning. For this card, I decided to go for pretty in pink with a peachy centre. 


I started by taking a 6x6 card blank and cutting out the Downton Abbey classical Edge die from Crafter's Companion.  

The Dahlia was then stamped and cut out several times but in different layers so it would give it depth and make it more realistic.

The larger bud was also stamped and cut out twice so I could used the same technique on that. 
Leaves were cut out too. All of these were coloured with Crafter's Companion AquaBlend pencils. 


I cut two panels of white card one for the front of the card and another for the inside, these were coloured with Colour Cloud Summer Sky ink. I gathered everything together to arrange them.

Then I decided (as you sometimes do as a crafter, things can change half way through) that I wanted to add some more layers to the centre of the flower as it looked too flat compared to the rest. So I cut out the middle petals and the front petals to layer again. 

This was coloured and I only glued the very bottom edge so the petals would stand up, adding depth.


The Dahlia sentiment was stamped and cut in to a banner and added to the card.  This is the finished design. :)


I'm sure it will not be the last time I use this stamp, after all there are so many colours of Dahlia's to choose from. :) Worth googling them, you will be amazed ...sigh... isn't nature just beautiful?

For this project I have used:

Downton Abbey Classical Edge die
Dahlia Stamp from Sheena Douglass
AquaBlend pencils from Crafter's Companion
Colour Cloud Summer Sky ink
Tea Dye Distress Ink

Black Stazon
(Inked my stamp up with Versa Mark first and then Stazon over the top so it would not stain my stamp. If you clean it with a baby wipe straight away all will be well :) ) 

Foam tape and glue.

Adele
x















2 comments:

  1. That is absolutely stunning. I'm going to have to invest in some Aqua blend pencils. Such a lovely range of colours. The edging die is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :) Yes, they are well worth it, very good quality and beautiful colours. It's one of the best investments you can make.

      Delete