Thursday 9 June 2016

Alice in Wonderland card

Mad Hatter: “Have I gone mad?”
Alice: “I’m afraid so. You’re entirely bonkers. But I’ll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland 2010

Hello everyone,


If you are going to go bonkers over anything, let it be crafting, that's what I say! I'm hoping to see the new film, Alice Through the Looking Glass.  I've always been a fan of this book and the films and it is also a favourite with many of my Steampunk friends and not just because of the clocks and pocket watches...We like something a bit alternative that is very creative, so it has inspired many of us in our group. 


“Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.”

― Lewis CarrollAlice in Wonderland

The above would apply to me if you change it to Why sometimes I think of as many as six craft projects before breakfast!   

It's true...oh well... I might be bonkers after all! But on the plus side, family and friends are always pleased with the things I make for them. :)


I made this card a few weeks back. I've made Alice cards before and have actually taught two Alice card making classes last year to celebrate it's 150th Anniversary. I set it out as a tea party, everyone had place names and there were Jammie Dodgers and other treats. It was great fun. 


If you want to make an Alice card the best thing to do first is to think of all the key elements that come to mind when you remember the book.  Playing cards, roses, a crown, clocks, the Mad Hatter, teapots, a key, a drink me bottle, flamingos, a white rabbit, to name but a few.  If you incorporate some of these people will instantly know you were thinking of Alice.


I was really pleased to come across a flamingo die free with a craft magazine recently. I had seen others but was hoping to find one the right size which was more realistic and this one fitted the bill! (sorry, I'll get my coat.) I'm still on the hunt for hedgehogs, of the small die-cut variety.


For this project I used a 6x6 card and mounted it with kraft card. The most obvious colours for Alice creations are red, white and black, (like playing cards) you can use brighter colours too, and I have in the past. Sometimes though, a limited colour palette works really well.


So this was designed with a die cut key, playing cards, a crown, a lace trim and the flamingo, which was cut out three times. The second time was so I could layer the wing up and the third time in black as a shadow so it would stand forward from the card, enhancing the detail. Chequered paper was chosen as a background to represent the entrance to wonderland. The key was a symbol of the door Alice went though, the roses, hearts and crown were for the Queen, as well as the hints of gold (with embossing powder) the doily the tea party. The confusion of the place was shown by the 'This Way', 'That Way' signs which I made myself. It was finished by scattering tiny hearts around the edge.




I hope you have enjoyed seeing this project. Why not have a go at making an Alice card?  Now would be the perfect time and who knows what you could create...."curiouser and curiouser!”

Adele

x
N.B  Well, it would be this post that went completely bonkers wouldn't it!? For some reason beyond my control, and totally inexplicable, the technology gremlins (or was it the Matter Hatter?) have hijacked this post. So apologises for the font changing, type, size and apparently colour ( according to Sheila) throughout the post.  I did not do this and am apparently unable to fix it.... although I am told it is still readable...even though it does look marvellously mad now..... I need a cuppa.. 






No comments:

Post a Comment