Monday 23 May 2016

Amongst the Stars with Docrafts and Spellbinders.

Hello everyone,

How I love to gaze at the stars, how beautiful they are and with that in mind I thought I would create this card. It would be a perfect to give to someone destined for great things. :)

 And bling is not just for Christmas, it's pretty all year round too. :)

I purchased these Docrafts Inspirational sentiment stamps a while ago and especially love this quote.There have been a few ideas floating around in my head of how to use this since I got it and this is one of them, (more to come.)

My mum hasn't crafted for a long time, which is a shame but she kindly donated two boxes of stamps (she has barely or never used) to my craft stash. (At least she knows where they are if she wants to make something in the future, they have a good home.)  In one of the boxes was a set of swirls and stars stamps, that turned out to be just the thing I needed for this project! Serendipity! :)

Finally, I've used a piece of Kanban card that's been in my collection for a few years (everything comes in eventually but if you are anything like me you will have a paper obsession, you have a huge pile that you sometimes don't want to use because it's too nice, or you are waiting for a particular crafty plan to use it. I can admit though I am getting better at this and now I even tear paper sometimes! Shock, horror, sometimes, it's actually fun ;) ) The galaxy print is lovely and I'm glad it wasn't used until now, (there was a method in my madness on this occasion) it seems it was meant for this creation. 

An 8"x 8" card was used, a 6"x 6" would have limited the design and prevented seeing much of the beautiful sky and that would be a shame and a waste. The swirls and stars were stamped on to the galaxy background and then embossed with Wow Silver glitter powder. The idea was for these to look like a tail, or streams of light behind the shooting star.

I took the Spellbinder die, cut out the large ornate star frame with white card and coloured it with Superfine silver embossing powder from Papermania (Docrafts.) The smaller inner star frame was cut out in the universe card, I had enough left after trimming the excess from the 8" card blank. These frames were then attached to the background. 

Docrafts also provided the small die cut stars as well as a craft punch. This gave me a variety of shapes and sizes. I glittered embossed the largest stars, the ones that resembled the Bethlehem star we see on Christmas Cards and the wooden star buttons, the others were embossed with plain silver. 

Again, I turned to my die-namics flourish to add some swirls. Seven pieces were cut out, two were wrapped in opposing directions directly around the sentiment, carefully, the other five were arranged underneath and around the stamped panel, so the curls from these would overlap and bring the design together.

This lovely sentiment was stamped on to a blue background, created with Colour Cloud and silver embossed. The wording was then cut out with another Spellbinder's die. Silver Stickles was used around the edge to bring it forward and highlight it, making sure that the twirls stood away from the glue until it dried. 

I scattered the stars around the card, the biggest ones with foam tape underneath to add depth and texture, the others were glued flat. Deliberately, the wooden stars were kept to surround the inspirational quote as they were larger and thicker and would draw the eye towards the words. These are also the only stars gems were added too for the same reason. 

For the finishing touches, Star Dust Stickles was applied to the edge of the galaxy die cut star and randomly to the background so it would have a colourful shimmer. 


I've really enjoyed making this card and also discovered I would like more star dies (or need ;) ) Then I could boldly go places I have not been before.....

Dies used:

Spellbinders Label 48 Decorative Labels
Spellbinders (Just rite) Nested Medallion labels
X-Cut mini stars

Stamps: Docrafts Creativity Essentials Inspirational stamp sentiments. 

Adele
x


















2 comments:

  1. It's lovely. Thank you for sharing how you used your dies and how you layer your cards. I'm learning new things every time I visit your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. :) I'm glad it's helping. x

    ReplyDelete