Wednesday 4 January 2017

Groovin' 60's Techniques for Sheena

Happy New Year lovely crafters!

I hope you are all well and that 2017 brings you health, happiness and lots of craftiness! Sorry it's been awhile since I posted, things have been hectic over the festive period and I've caught a cold for the second time... anyhew... hoping for no more germs this year, too much crafting to do!! Isn't being ill so boring? Especially when you have a crafty, active mind!

So, as always, as promised, here are some of the techniques I used on Sheena's fabulous new collection Groovin' 60's. It's a great excuse to use full on colour with no apologies! Let yourself go!

I stamped all the 3D flowers I made with Versa Mark and embossed them with black powder. I liked the effect it gave and it allowed me to play more with the colours, whilst they did not bleed into each other. These are the blooms I created for the Flower Power heart wall hanging.


It's easy enough to find these wooden heart plaques quite cheaply. I used the tie die stencil on it with texture paste and then I highlight these with gold foil... Let the Sunshine in...  :) You can see the finished heart on my previous post.


I adore Sheena's 'Hattie' stamp. For this card I wanted to give a nod to tie die and give the card a lacy floral edge. So I created a panel, just smaller than the 8" card I would mount it on.  I stamped the flowers randomly in a square with Versa Mark and embossed them with clear powder, this is a great technique as it resists any colour you add to it, keeping the original colour underneath visible. You can stamp a few at a time and then heat and emboss before starting again.


Then I sponged a mixture of Aquatints on to the background, added salt and left it to dry, so it would create patterns and texture. I chose colours that would contrast nicely with the lady.


Hattie was stamped out and an extra hat brim as I wanted her to have some extra depth.


The same technique was used on the dancing girls card, I then went over with it with Hickory Smoke Distress Ink.


The flowers were then painted with Aquatints. I wanted a strong contrast between the bright colours and the monochrome that was also popular at the time.


The ladies were stamped and cut out and then because I wanted them really black, I went over them with a black Pebeo pen. The sentiments were created with silver glitter embossing powder. I then completed this card by adding extra flowers which you can also see in my previous post.


Sheena is a huge Dusty Springfield fan so I wanted to create something really special for her. So with the Diva stencil I designed a canvas and incorporated much of the collection, along with another Sheena stamp that fitted the theme. I began by painting the background and adding texture paste with the stencils.


Painted over the texture paste.


These stencils reminded me a little of peacock feathers so when I painted them with the Pebeo paints I drew from that inspiration.


I then added flowers, the records and the microphone ('Sing') from Sheena's Rock and Rock collection, Foil was also applied to this. To compliment the microphone and highlight 'Dusty' I also added streaks of gold foil to her hair and this was the result. The aim was for it to look like a concert poster or album cover. 


And the other good thing about this collection is that you can also make some great cards for men. For this card I used the  Crazy Perspectives stencil, love this. I wanted to create something graphic and strong, to fit the stencil well. I used Distress Ink, cut out circles randomly and then mounted this on red card. 


I was thinking of the mod colours and the credits to a certain group of spy films. Spy holes looking for Bond! I cut the centre out with a circle of rays as I wanted it to present the character...like tah-dah! I stamped the guy, cut him out and then darkened him again with a black Pebeo pen.



I haven't finished playing with this collection yet, I have lots more ideas coming up with these which I hope to share with you soon. :)

T.T.F.N

Adele
x























No comments:

Post a Comment