Tuesday 1 November 2016

Time Traveller Techniques for Sheena

Hello crafty peeps!

It's really great to see that's lots of you already have the Time Traveller collection and you have been making some great creations! :D

They really are the most amazing stamps and dies to work with. Another triumph from Sheena!

As promised here are some of the techniques I used... so where to begin.. I'll try not to waffle too much but there are lots of photos.. I will, promise... lol.. I think it is best to go through this systematically ...so let's start..

Backgrounds..

One of the main things for this collection is, you get to play even more... as you need lots of fab backgrounds with lots of texture!

So this is the verdigris technique you will have seen Sheena demo, using the metallic Pebeo paints and Aquatints, the white from the Essentials set and the teal from the brights. I painted a panel of black card in a textured way, neat, with the Pebeo and then when that was try, mixed the two Aquatints to created the rusty look. Whilst it was still wet I sprinkled it with table sale and left it to dry for a better effect.


Other papers created..stippled and smooth textures...


Fleather painted metallic...


Ghostly cog background. I created this so it looked like the cogs were coming towards you out of the steam. To do this you need to stamp with Versa Mark and go over them with Distress ink. At first it may seem like this is not working so well, give it time, as the ink sinks into the card it will resist the Versa Mark more..

Crafty Tip:  If you decide you like this look, stamp a few pieces of card with the Versa Mark cogs BEFORE you move on to stamping with darker ink.. the reason being, it's hard to clean them afterwards and you need them VERY clean to do this technique well. Any hint of another colour ruins it. 



Northern Lights Balloon card

I created the sky for this using Distress Inks, I've done this with Aquatints before now I wanted to try DI's. 


I only wanted a trail of stars along the top of the card to indicate height in the atmosphere as if the characters were rising through the northern lights sky. I took some roughly torn  paper as I didn't want the stars in a straight line, wanted them natural... Flicked Pebeo liquid foil paste from a brush on to the background, allowed it dry before applying the silver foil.


I stamped the sentiment, thought this was the perfect one... I wanted this card to look magical and haunting, the calm before the storm in story.. added glittery whisps by just running a clear sparkle pen across the top of the sky in wiggly lines. The black die cut balloon was then added, coloured and shaded with gilding wax.


Vintage balloon card

So this card was created as the 'flying through the storm' card. I wanted it too look very vintage and a bit eerie... others have called this "magical" which is lovely.  In the centre of the blizzard fly our friends, the quiet in the centre of the storm.. I took a 8" white card panel, marked off a edge round each side with a pencil and tore it roughly down to 7.5 inches. 



Stamped it with Sheena's Christmas postcard stamp in brown ink. Then DI's were used on it. The middle doesn't matter no one would see that, till now! lol.. 


Created another smaller panel, stamped the cogs around the edge with versa mark and went over them with DI and it resisted the cogs, so they looked ghostly.  I then sprinkled this with drops of water (the blizzard) and flicked Pebeo liquid glue on to it and applied gold foil when dry.


To stamp the steam I inked up the stamp, only in that place and applied it to the background where I wanted it by folding back the rest of the stamp. It only stamped the steam nothing else.  I cut the balloon and coloured it with DI, also adding gilding wax highlights. It was shaped and applied to the card with 3D glue. The bottom boat section was decoupaged so it curves out and gives more depth. The edge of the paper was then distressed with my nail. 


Canvas - Professor Ernest in his lab..

I really wanted my canvas to be an important part of the Steampunk adventure I was telling.. so I created a whole scene... started by taking some cardboard and distressing it.


Took my canvas and painted it with black gesso, adding tissue paper for texture..


Painted canvas with a mixture of the metallic paints, after adding torn cardboard, paper die cut cogs and black sand texture paste, (which does take awhile to dry, you can do other things whilst this is happening.) 


After texture paste dried, added gold/copper Pebeo paint and then used verdigris technique.


Started to add other elements..



Clocks and Time Cards

So this is the background for my 'Sands of Time' card


Base for pocket watch card... The sentiment was stamped and embossed with black powder, this means you can run gilding wax over it.


My clock card with glittery aged paper.. DI's with the faux bleach technique, also sprinkled Pebeo glue over this and added gold foil. I like the gold speckles this creates, it makes me think of molten metal, which is appropriate for Steampunk.  Sponge was ready to apply Gold Aquatints around the edge..


Sponged on, slightly watered down gold Aquatints.. love the swirly effect I got with this. 


Hourglass card. I applied a Versa Mark pen to this and sprinkled cream and gold embossing powder on to the sand part of this...


Hourglass background, sprinkled with gold, copper and cream embossing powder. I wanted it to look gritty as if some of the sand had escaped.. 


Cog Journal

For this I took some Kraft card and painted it with the copper Pebeo paint. Stamped on to it with the torn stamps using black embossing powder and cut out the middles.


Stamped the cogs in brown ink on to the front of the notebook, so they would peak through.


Stamped more cogs on the the front with Versa Mark and embossed with black powder. Highlighted these with gilding wax and added cogs to poke through the holes.


To the Skies!! Diorama card.

Lizzie, belle of the airways, had to have a real flying balloon! I started by stamping her out a few times so I could use certain elements to decoupage. She was coloured with Aquablend pencils. I also cut out an extra piece of the raised lens of the goggles.


Created the diorama in black card and sponged it with gold Aquatints. Added a plain black panel to the centre. The back wasn't the same as the front as my DI's inks were starting to dry up! Needed refills! 


Front with the ghostly cog technique and finger print gold foil random across it, also droplets of gold foil. The front panel was double strength it was white card mounted on to Kraft card and then the square was cut out, I like to make sturdy cards.


Wanted the sky inside to look like a early morning with hints of sunlight peaking through gathering clouds as if a storm was ahead. Not a great photo as couldn't use flash for this, wanted you to see the colours, hopefully you get the idea. Used the faux bleach technique on this as if it was starting to rain.


The floating balloon!! I was really giddy when I had this idea! lol. So, I did it by gluing a strip of acetate to the underneath of the sky panel and then the other end to the back of the balloon. It was strong acetate and I curved it to hang inside the diorama, Lizzie wouldn't have it floating too far away would she! ? ;) 


Steampunk Machine card

So this was created by first using the backgrounds I'd made. The gold fleather and the verdigris.


I wanted the pipes to have some real texture and tone to them, look aged instead of just flat... I stamped them with Versa Mark and added black embossing powder and then shaded on top of this with the gold gilding wax. You can see the difference in this photo.


Started to construct the card. Curved the pipes and added foam tape underneath them to give dimension. 


Propeller card

I wanted you to see that you could also create a simple card that looked effective, with a nice background and one die and stamp. So, verdigris background, cut the propeller out of some black card sponged with Pebeo gold paint.


Used Versa Mark to stamp propeller and added black embossing powder.


Gilding wax over the top


Created a flag and stamped sentiment, used black embossing powder and added a hint of gilding wax.


Then, I needed a centre for the propeller, so I made my own. Found some pearls the right size but not the right colour. Painted one of the large ones with black gesso and then when it was dry I was able to rub over it with gilding wax.


Sir Edward and his Time Machine...

Firstly, I stamped out the gentleman and die cut and stamped the goggles. I added acetate lenses to the goggles too. His moustache was decoupaged. 


I stamped the Thingamabob on to the panel of white card in the top corner. Applied drawing gum to it and then created a cog background around it.  I also stamped around the machine the Grunge Band stamps as I wanted it to look like his Time Machine had just started to settle and was winding down. I applied foil to parts of these. And, as you saw Sir Edward sits on top of this.


Hello, are you still there? lol.. That was a long one wasn't it... but informative I hope. ;) 

Now I'm off to do something Steampunks do best.. make a cuppa! If only I had cake to go with it!...sigh....

T.T.F.N peeps

Adele
x

















































3 comments:

  1. Thank you, so informative and given me the courage to be a bit more adventurous with my cards. I think I might get quite messy. X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your work with us. I will definitely be trying to re-create some of your wonderful techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing this... my set hasn't arrived yet but I'm being creative with other stamps.
    greetings,
    Debbie (Daqa)

    ReplyDelete